Injustice 2 is a sci-fi superhero 2.5D fighting game developed by NetherRealm and published by WB for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on May 16, 2017. It was later ported to the PC on November 14, 2017.
The sequel to the 2013 game Injustice: Gods Among Us, Injustice 2 again takes place in an alternate DC Universe where Superman establishes a ruthless dictatorship (the One-Earth Regime) and Batman counters with an insurgency. The story is set five years after the Regime's defeat and the imprisonment of Superman, where a new faction of villains (known as "The Society"), led by Gorilla Grodd, begins plans for world domination. When it is revealed that supervillain Brainiac plans to eradicate Earth, Batman's forces must form an alliance with the Regime to stop the threat.
Along with minor adjustments to the original game's gameplay mechanics, the game introduces a new loot-dropping system (known as the "Gear System") in which players gain random costume pieces for their character roster that is used both cosmetically, for improving stats (including strength, defense, vitality, and the effectiveness of special attacks), and for altering the character's movelist. It also introduces an experience point system, where each character can level up and boost their stats, and a microtransaction system (known as "Source Crystals"). Stat-based gameplay can be optionally disabled for multiplayer matches.
The base game included 29 playable characters (and 5 "premiere skins"), one of which was a pre-order exclusive (later made DLC). Post-release, NetherRealm added 9 additional DLC characters (12 if counting the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as separate characters).
Characters who have not returned from the original Injustice are Ares, Batgirl, Deathstroke, Doomsday, Hawkgirl, Killer Frost, Lex Luthor, Lobo, Martian Manhunter, Nightwing, Raven, Scorpion, Shazam, Sinestro, Solomon Grundy, Zatanna, and Zod.
- Black Canary
- Brainiac (unlocked by either clearing Story Mode or purchasing via DLC)
- Blue Beetle
- Captain Cold
- Doctor Fate
- Gorilla Grodd
- Poison Ivy
- Swamp Thing
- Black Adam
- Green Arrow
- Green Lantern
- Harley Quinn
- The Joker
- Wonder Woman
- Darkseid (originally a pre-order bonus)
- Red Hood (added on June 19, 2017, also part of Fighter Pack 1)
- Sub-Zero (guest character from the Mortal Kombat series, added on June 19, 2017, also part of Fighter Pack 1)
- Starfire (added on August 14, 2017, also part of Fighter Pack 1)
- Black Manta (added on September 18, 2017, also part of Fighter Pack 2)
- Raiden (guest character from the Mortal Kombat series, added on October 16, 2017, also part of Fighter Pack 2)
- Hellboy (guest character from the Hellboy franchise, added on November 20, 2017, also part of Fighter Pack 2)
- Atom (added on December 19, 2017, also part of Fighter Pack 3)
- Enchantress (added on January 16, 2018, also part of Fighter Pack 3)
- Leonardo / Michelangelo / Donatello / Raphael (guest characters from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, added on February 20, 2018, also part of Fighter Pack 3)
Some characters have premium costumes (known as "premiere skins") that change their appearance, voiceover, and dialogue to another character in the DC universe. Some special moves are also altered.
All Premiere Skins, other than Grid, require players to "purchase" them for 6,000 Source Crystals.
- Bizarro (for Superman)
- Jay Garrick (for Flash)
- Mr. Freeze (for Captain Cold)
- Vixen (for Cheetah)
- Grid (for Cyborg, requires players to link their account with the mobile game)
- Black Lightning (for Raiden, requires Ultimate Pack)
- Power Girl (for Supergirl, requires Fighter Pack 1)
- Reverse Flash (for Flash, requires Fighter Pack 2)
- John Stewart (for Green Lantern, requires Fighter Pack 3)